A congregation of Prussian Lutherans emigrated to America in 1843 and established the “German Ev. Lutheran Church of New Bergholz in the town of Wheatfield” now Holy Ghost Lutheran Church. Some of the original settlers moved to the St. Johnsburg area along Niagara Falls Boulevard. A branch Christian Day School was established in the area in 1846. On December 18, 1853, 74 families transferred and dedicated the first St. John Ev. Lutheran Church at St. Johnsburg. St. John joined what is now The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod in 1859. The present building complex was dedicated on December 18, 1966.